There are a variety of different formulas and theories dictating how much protein to consume. We will provide a formula for you. Whatever the number is per meal will depend on your body weight.
- Take your body weight and divide it by 2.2, which will convert your body into kilos.
- After that, multiply it by anywhere from 1.2-1.5.
- Whatever that total amount comes out too, divide that by 4-5, which is the number of meals per-day.
- The final number is the result for how many grams of protein you should consume per meal.
- Body Weight- 185 lbs.
- BW in kilos= 84.09
- 84.09 x 1.5 = 126 grams of protein for the day
- 126g of protein ÷ 5 meals for the day = 25 grams of protein per meal
Even if you have three meals for the day, depending on what your day entails with work, school, training, and social life, divide it by 5 to keep it safe from overloading your body with protein. Remember, there is not a particular number. However, having too little protein such as 5-10 grams, or overloading, is not okay. This number is a guide to make sure you are having sufficient amount of protein.
Whatever your number comes out too, +/- 5 is great. Your body is asking for protein every 2-3 hours. You do not want to consume protein every hour. If you feel this would make a difference, it will not.